Ewa Kalinska was born in Gdansk, in Poland. She learnt drawing and painting in the studios of such a great Gdansk artist: Marek Model, Grazyna Piorko, Krzysztof Polkowski. She attended graduate school at the European Academy of Art in Warsaw, Poland, she was a former student of Professors Barbara Szubinska, Franciszek Starowieyski, and Jerzy Duda-Gracz, Poland’s greatest painters. Between the years of 1997 – 2000, Mrs. Kalinska studied at the Academy of Multimedia in Gdansk, Poland, where she received a diploma with honours in project design, specializing in multimedia design in Prof. Wojciech Mokwinski’s studio. Ewa has taken several artistic learning trips to the United States and Italy.
She is a fellow member of the Association of Polish Artist and Designers and of the Gdansk Friends of Artwork.
She creates her work through drawings, paintings and through artistic fabric. Ewa creates works of art based on human figures, nature and still life. Ewa’s „Debut” was her exhibition of paintings and drawings at the Gdansk ALTERNATYWA gallery, in December 2005.
Ewa and her family lived in the USA between 2007 and 2014, where she continued to create works of art. She also attended the studios of Barbara Wasserman, Susan Hanssen, Jacquline Downey and Robert Hertz at Boca Raton Museum of Art, The Art School, Florida USA. In 2010 she got First Prize in the International Art Contest „Natale di Roma”, Rome, Italy, April 2010. Ewa Kalinska is also an author of religious paintings for the Chapel of St. Polycarp in Gdansk and Church of St. Mary Help of Christians in Skrzeszewo (Poland).
I’m intrested in classical sphere of art reflecting the beauty and harmony of nature. Thus I work on live models for making sketches and drawings. Drawing for me is the basis of all artistic activity. That’s why I keep in constant touch with it. Giving up drawing can be dangerous for the genuine quality of art. While drawing an act, head or still life I challenge myself to come closer to the source in convention of realism. The closer to the source I am the easier it is for me to find my own interpretation. This stage enables me to express myself through imagination supported by my intuition.
The process in which I create my Artistic Fabrics brings me also a great joy. The process includes: making sketches from nature, selection of appriopriate fabrics (silks, taffetas, etc) sewing. Each stage is equally and fulfilling for me. I’m inspired by surroundings, often it is any garden, flower show or even medow near my studio in Poland.
- „I am”, exhibition of drawings and artistic fabrics, ZPAP gallery, Gdansk, Poland, 14 November – 3 December 2017
- „Between”, exhibition of paintings, GSA Gallery, Gdansk, Poland, 13 March – 30 March 2017
- „Fabric Art”, Eva Mulroy Gallery, Miami, USA, September 2012 – February 2013
- „Drawing” Kazimiera Zajaczkowska’s Gallery, Gdansk, Poland 30 July – 6 August 2012
- „Emotions”, Il Leone gallery, Rome, Italy, 18-22 December 2010
- „Classicism and Modernity: Combined in Colors”, Museum Villa Vecchia, Rome, Italy, 5-13 December 2010
- „Looking for Harmony”, Glaza Expo Design gallery, Gdansk, Poland, June 2006
- „Debut”, Alternatywa gallery, Gdansk, Poland, December 2005
- „Freedom in Art 3 Generations” Exhibition of the Artists of the Gdansk District of ZPAP, Forum Gdansk, November 2018.
- Celebration of the 60th Anniversary of the Gdansk Society of the Friends of Art, Saint John, Gdansk, Poland, August 2018.
- „Exhibition of works Masters of GSA, Department of Modern Art of the National Museum, Gdansk, Poland, 20 May 2017
- „Natale di Roma”, Cascina Farsetti, Rome, Italy, April 2010
- „I Colori della Polonia a Roma”, Cascina Farsetti Rome, Italy, March 2010
- First Prize in the Internationale Art Contest „Natale di Roma”, Cascina Farsetti, Rome, Italy, April 2010
Ewa Kalinska is an artist of great creative ability and a strong personality. She applies precise and firm strokes. She gives life to lonely figures emerging from the watercolor backgrounds without defined borders. Her art work is dynamic and has great spiritual value.
Profesor Mario Nicosia
Ewa Kalinska is a master drawer with the confidence of a Renaissance artist. Her line is emphatic, delicate, flowing and strong. Ewa has a unique ability to create deep space through her exaggerated proportions of the figure. She creates a human figure with the extraordinary simplicity of the line that draws the viewer into her magical, intuitive perception. She prepares backgrounds which add to the excitement of the viewer. She is an exceptionally gifted
Jacqueline Jayne Downey
Boca Raton Museum Art School